Natural disasters such as floods, earthquakes, and hurricanes can wreak havoc on your home or business. It will affect millions of people every year and they also cause a significant amount of damage. Here are the three most important things you can do to ensure catastrophic flooding.
Install water sensors or flood detection systems
There are many options for water detection systems, sensors, and alarms that help to alert you to water leaks within your home or business. If there is a complex water leak then it can be tied into your smartphone or your home security system to get alerts before any disaster.
Install a Sump Pump in Your Basement
Installing a sump pump is a worthy investment. It’s a device that can be installed in your basement to protect against flooding. It will push out the excess water away from your home and minimize the damage. Frequently damaged areas by floods must require homeowners to invest in sump pumps as a precaution.
Regularly clear debris from drains and ditches.
Avoid throwing leaves, or other debris in your yard which will damage your pipelines and reduces the water flow. If there's any blockage in nearby storm drains remove it.
Quick tips to follow in case of flooding
- Turn off the waterline, if that is the source of the flooding.
- Use sandbags to block any gaps that will lead to flooding.
- It's a great idea to move rugs, furniture, electronics, and other valuables to a higher floor of the home, or elevate them.
- Remove gutters and drains so that water can flow freely.
- Shut off your electricity at the breaker panel, if flood water is close to reaching your electrical system.
- Open windows to allow airflow through your home if it's not raining.
- Turn on your sump pump or use a shop vacuum to remove water as quickly as possible.
Protect your valuable appliances like Air conditioning units, Generators, Water heaters, Washing machines, and Dryers above the flood level.